Press "Enter" to skip to content

Hutchinson on White House call over DNC remarks: 'Not necessary but still appreciated'

Former Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson (R) said Wednesday he appreciated the White House calling to apologize for a Democratic National Committee (DNC) statement mocking the end of Hutchinson’s 2024 presidential campaign.

“The call from the White House was not necessary but still appreciated,” Hutchinson wrote on X, the platform formerly known as Twitter, responding to a news article about the call earlier Wednesday.

“We can disagree without demonizing. The bipartisan push back will hopefully lead to more focus on issues that are important to Americans,” Hutchinson added.

White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre said earlier Wednesday that President Biden’s chief of staff, Jeff Zients, called Hutchinson to apologize for the DNC statement, which was widely criticized for saying of Hutchinson’s campaign suspension: “This news comes as a shock to those of us who could’ve sworn he had already dropped out.”

Hutchinson finished sixth place in the Iowa caucuses Monday and announced later that night that he would suspend his presidential campaign. Hutchinson was among the only candidates in the race willing to criticize former President Trump directly for his efforts to stay in power after losing the 2020 presidential election.

A standout moment from his campaign came during the first debate when he and former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie were the only two on stage who did not raise their hands when asked whether they would still support Trump if he were convicted in a court of law.

“President Biden has deep respect for Gov. Hutchinson and admires the race he ran,” Jean-Pierre said, adding that Biden knows Hutchinson is a “man of principles.”


Source: The Hill

Be First to Comment

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *